We all want to do better, improve results, increase our productivity, work smarter not harder…
Here are 5 quick tips to help you achieve this:
- Time – Routines and systems. Time is precious, procrastinating destroys good time management. Prioritise your work and chunk. Block off areas of your day, or week, for specific items, project development, accounts, marketing, calling clients, answering emails – whatever it is, schedule it! For the everyday activities that have to be done, set up routines and systems. When you don’t have to think, you can just do…
- Do the most difficult task of your day (or project) first. Always bite the bullet as quickly as you can. As it is normally the task you are dreading, once it is out of the way, everything seems easier and quicker. Also we feel good about having got it down – the worst is already crossed off our list!
- Focus – Think about what you are trying to achieve with each goal or project. You need to have a clear vision so you can streamline your approach. It is worth spending a few minutes on really getting your thoughts in order and analyzing what the end result needs to look like, then you can work back from that, making you far more efficient and dynamic along the way.
- Remember the pareto principle with all that you do (80/20) – 80% of your results come from 20% of your activities. Filter what you do. You need to identify which 20% are going to give you the best outcome. Start doing this on a regular basis for all that you do. You will be amazed at how it improves your positive attitude, your confidence and your time management as well as boosting the quality of both your professional and personal life.
- Ignore – You don’t have to respond to everything. From email to meetings there are many items we can ignore or delegate. How many emails really need a response and how many can just be filed or deleted? Do you need to do every single thing yourself or can you delegate to someone else? Are you really needed at every single meeting or can one of your team go to represent you and give you an update after? Not only are you saving yourself time, you are giving your team encouragement and allowing them to gain experience.
Just think with all this improved productivity, you can have unlock the chain to your desk and take 10 minutes for a quick walk! Health, creativity and results!
* * * * *
Anna Letitia Cook is Founder and CEO of WomenUP Ltd and creator of the process SCOPE for career, fulfilment and success. She has a passion for inspiring women to shape their own future, incorporating their own values, beliefs and sense of purpose to achieve their objectives.